(1876 – 1945)
Born in Easley, South Carolina, on March 6, 1876, C. M. Mauldin grew up loving the land and the people who tilled it.
After completing public school in Easley, Mauldin attended Clemson University, where he earned a B.S. degree. He spent several years farming before joining the Alabama Extension Service. During the early 1920s, C. M. served as District Agent for North Alabama. He was especially good at encouraging farmers to adopt new methods and programs
Soil conservation was a primary subject wherever he went. Having been a farmer himself, he could speak the language that was understood. He could show the way to soil improvement and increased crop production that led to a higher standard of living.
Farm families all over North Alabama respected his opinion and cooperated on projects. His advice was sought and appreciated. The love of farming finally became so great that C. M. left his Extension job to return to full-time farming. Settling in Shelby County, Mr. Mauldin was often called for consultation. And of course, he followed the expansion of Extension and benefited from the progressive programs he could now put into effect personally.
In recognition of his outstanding contributions to improving the lives of so many, the name C. M. Mauldin is inscribed on the dedicatory plaque of the Extension Memorial Chapel.
Chapel Plaque Inscription Number: 150