(1915 – 1992)
Carl Parker, a native of Clay County, Alabama, had almost 34 years of federal service when he retired as Area Community Development Specialist on February 28, 1978. He had served in that position for approximately seven years. Earlier, he served as Assistant County Agent in DeKalb County, Rural Development Specialist in Ft. Payne, and Specialist in Horticulture Production.
Parker was born the third child to William Lee and Addie Cassaday Parker on May 1, 1915, in the community of Pyriton. His mother died when he was four years old. Understanding one family situation and recognizing the talents of young Carl, the principal at Lineville High School, where he graduated in 1938, encouraged and assisted Carl in locating work and borrowing the money necessary to attend college at Auburn University, which he entered in 1939.
Before joining Extension, he was a vocational agricultural instructor at Newville High School while still pursuing his B.S. degree from Auburn University. He received his appointment at the Alabama Cooperative Extension Service on July 1, 1944. His first job was to build on the 4-H program in DeKalb county, and he was quite successful in this endeavor. Another successful endeavor was the improvement of the Cullman City Water Works when he was Area Rural Development Specialist.
His hobbies included hunting, fishing, trapping, and gardening. Deer and elk hunting out West were a trademark as he would strap elk horns on the top of his 1964 Chevrolet and display them with his travels each fall.
Mr. Parker was a memorable person. His ability to get the job done in his unconventional way was perhaps as much a trademark as were the elk horns on his Chevrolet!
Parker served the First Baptist Church of Ft. Payne as an active member and teacher. His community involvement included being a charter member of the Ft. Payne Lion’s Club and former president, Woodmen of the World.
Carl Parker died on November 20, 1992. He is survived by his wife Bernice and son William. In recognition of his accomplishments, the name Carl Parker is inscribed on the dedicatory plaque of the Extension Memorial Chapel.
Chapel Plaque Inscription Number: 340