(1950 – 2020)
Dr. Katie W. Jackson graduated from the University of Alabama in 1972, completed her Masters in Art from the University of Montevallo in 1982, and in 1997 earned her Doctorate from Auburn University. She was employed as the ACENEP Extension Program Specialist for 31 years.
Jackson began her career as Assistant County Agent with major responsibilities in the 4-H program serving in Lowndes County. She worked with more than 1500 4-H’ers, reviving two 4-H clubs and organizing two new clubs in the only school in the county where 4-H was not organized. She was instrumental in organizing the 4-H Advisory Council and 4-H Council of leaders and officers from all of the clubs.
She had more than 400 youth to participate in competitive foods programs, more than 200 to participate in public speaking, and more than 150 to participate in fashion revues with an additional 17 youth who modeled in the 4-H Fashion Show with garments contributed by Simplicity.
Jackson used publicity effectively to get the job done. She prepared a monthly newsletter for 4-H members. The 4-H newsletter was in addition to the foods newsletter and the clothing newsletter she prepared monthly.
Jackson believed in working with other organizations. She assisted the Kiwanis Club in organizing the first county fair. She was a member of the Order of Eastern Star Rose Beauty Chapter #176, served on several boards and organizations to provide services to all mankind. She loved spending time with her family, watching football, reading, and exploring the world on her iPad.
Dr. Katie W. Jackson strengthened the Lowndes County 4-H program. Her leadership in ACENEP provided nutritional information to children and families across Alabama. She will be missed for her candid demeanor and affection.
Her husband, Mr. John Jackson, daughter, Mrs. Nina S. Allen, and son, Mr. Kevin Jackson, and seven grandchildren survive her, as well as many friends.
The Alpha Pi Chapter of Epsilon Sigma Phi honors and remembers Dr. Katie W. Jackson by placing her name on the dedicatory plaque of the Memorial Chapel.
Chapel Plaque Inscription Number: 652