(1894 – 1984)
Felix Blackwood, Sr., was born in Winnfield, Winn Parish, Louisiana, on June 25, 1894, and departed this life on August 10, 1984. He was the son of the late Joseph and Olie Blackwood. His early education was received through the public schools of Winn Parish and in Winnfield. After completing public school, he attended Southern University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, until called into military service in November 1917, serving his country for eighteen months in France.
Upon discharge from military service, he continued his education at Tuskegee Institute, graduating in May of 1921.
He went to Henry County as a teacher of Vocational Agriculture at the Henry County Training School on July 1, 1921. One year later, he was appointed principal as well. These posts he held until June 1946, because on July 1, he became county agent for Henry County. He retired from the Extension Service on June 30, 1964, after eighteen years of effective and dedicated service.
After retirement, Mr. Blackwood became more active in civic, religious, and fraternal organizations. He helped to organize District 24 Community Action Agency, served on the Board of Directors for three years, and was employed as Health and Management Counselor for two years. He served as Certification Officer for the Surplus Food Commodity Program of Henry County for one year.
Mr. Blackwood played instrumental roles in the organization of the local Alabama Council of Migrant and Seasonal Farm Workers. He served a term as Chaplain for the 43rd District of the American Legion and was a 33rd Degree Mason. He faithfully served the Bethlehem Baptist Church for 60 years as Trustee, Adult Class Sunday School teacher, Deacon, and Chairman Emeritus of the Deacon Board.
In 1925, Mr. Blackwood married the late Miss Katie Stafford of Montgomery. Three children were born to this union: Mrs. Constance B. Fraction of Flint, Michigan, Mr. Felix Blackwood, Jr. of Silver Spring, Maryland, and Mr. Joe W. Blackwood, deceased.
It is fitting indeed to inscribe the name Felix Blackwood, Sr., on the dedicatory plaque of the Extension Memorial Chapel.
Chapel Plaque Inscription Number: 234