(1888 – 1962)
Born in Agricola, Georgia, on June 17, 1888, Junius A. Kitchens grew to be a gentle, caring Extension agent. His education began at the Walker Baptist Institute in Augusta, Georgia, and continued at Tuskegee Institute. In July of 1928, Mr. Kitchens joined Alabama Extension as a farm agent in Lee County.
As one of the first agents in the newly organized program, J. A. Kitchens set the standard for dedication to the people he served. He instructed and encouraged the youth of Lee County through 4-H activities. His energy and commitment enabled him to support countless youth programs. The real payoff for those youngsters who worked the hardest was the trips to shows outside Alabama.
Described as serious-minded but also able to have a good time, Mr. Kitchens was a great example to follow. His caring spirit and keen knowledge of agriculture were responsible for inspiring more than one student to become an Extension agent. Going out of his way to help the farmers of Lee County was his trademark. Often he visited farms to be sure things were going well or to help if there were problems.
In tribute to the life and work of this kind, caring man, the name J. A. Kitchens is inscribed on the dedicatory plaque of the Extension Memorial Chapel.
Chapel Plaque Inscription Number: 98