(1893 – 1953)
A native of Clay County, John Parker Bell began his agriculture service at the Alabama Experiment Station, working there from 1921 through 1924.
In 1927, he journeyed to Arkansas to work at the land grant college. His twelve-year stay from 1927 to 1939 ended when the pull of Alabama brought him back east. For the decade from 1939 to 1949, John Bell served as assistant to the Director in Auburn. He was described as having all the qualities of a good extension worker — he was sincere, informed, energetic, sound, loyal, and constructive.
Honored by colleagues upon his return to Alabama, the following poem expressed their feelings for John Bell:
Out of Arkansas came a son of Alabama, returning home —
Back to his native State he came in 1939.
Ten years he labored with and among us
Much did we learn to love him
And knew not the depth of that affection until the hour of separation.
Much do we miss him
For great is his understanding of us and our problems.
Thirty years he worked
With various peoples and groups for the cause of Agriculture
And the fate of the farmer,
Serving most oft as buffer between the “doer” and voice of authority
Working always with energy and understanding –
And to him we would say:
And time shall not lessen our gratitude
Nor the years dim our affection.
In honor of the man who was so loved and admired for his thoughts and deeds, it is altogether fitting to inscribe the name John P. Bell on the dedicatory plaque of the Extension Memorial Chapel.
Chapel Plaque Inscription Number: 277