(1906 – 1990)
Myrtie Clara Wilson dedicated her 84 years of life to serving others – through teaching, Extension work, and community service.
A native of Roanoke, Alabama, Miss Wilson was a 1923 graduate in Home Economics of Handley High School. She earned her B.S. degree from Auburn University in 1927 and for twelve years taught school in Alabama City (Gadsden) and Randolph County. Working with young people inspired Myrtie to join the educational efforts of the Cooperative Extension Service.
Her first year as Home Demonstration Agent was spent in Geneva County. She then transferred to Tallapoosa County where she stayed for 13 years. A coworker described Myrtie as a dear, sweet person who absolutely loved children. She had a way of attracting young people to her programs. Under her leadership, 4-H clubs flourished.
In 1954, Myrtie moved to Sanford, Florida, and continued to work in Extension. She stayed there until her “official” retirement. But she could not stop working and was employed with the Community Action Agency for five more years. Myrtie also was an active volunteer at First Baptist Church in Wetumpka and the Elmore County Hospital Auxilliary.
In tribute to her years of work helping people of all ages raise their standard of living, the name Myrtie C. Wilson is inscribed on the dedicatory plaque of the Extension Memorial Chapel.
Chapel Plaque Inscription Number: 61