(1901 – 1977)
Rennie Burton Jeter was born in Opelika on December 30, 1901. After graduating from Opelika High School, she attended Auburn University. Then she decided to get a job as a bookkeeper for Pepperell Manufacturing Company.
Just prior to joining Auburn University Extension, Miss Jeter spent five years in the teaching field in Lee and Macon counties. In 1927, she became secretary to the late Dean Zebulon Judd, Dean of the School of Education. She began her work with Extension’s State headquarters in 1934, performing such duties as a stenographer, secretary, equipment clerk, and business assistant.
A dedicated worker, Rennie Jeter gave a total of 37 years of her life to Extension Service. She was loyal and devoted — attributes that won her the respect and love of coworkers as well as supervisors.
At her retirement celebration, one which she shared with her sister Dalene Jeter, Director Ralph R. Jones had these remarks: “It is rare for two persons to retire on the same day, and indeed more rare for these two persons to be sisters. Of particular interest is the fact that both have served under five Extension Directors – all except the very first one, Dr. Duggar, who filled this role from 1914 to 1920. Their loyal, efficient, and dedicated service when combined totaled over 80 years. We cannot recall this particular set of circumstances having ever occurred before in the Extension Service, and we would strongly doubt that it will occur again.”
In tribute to her dedicated work on behalf of the Alabama Extension Service, the name Rennie B. Jeter is inscribed on the dedicatory plaque of the Extension Memorial Chapel.
Chapel Plaque Inscription Number: 250